Human Services

Voice: 570-387-6501
Fax: 570-387-6502

EMAIL: humanservices@columbiapa.org
Transportation: 570-784-8807

11 West Main Street
Main Street County Annex
Bloomsburg, PA 17815





Pennsylvania 211 Central

The Columbia County Human Services Office includes Communities That Care, and the following programs:

Food Pantry

Columbia County offers eight different distribution sites. These sites include Benton, Berwick, Bloomsburg, Greenwood Township, Madison Township, Millville, Orangeville and Wilburton. Each site holds a food distribution once a month. In order to receive food, a recipient must sign a self declaration of income form and proof of residency in the township of the Food Pantry distribution site. To inquire additional information about the food pantry in your township, contact Human Services. NOTE: Clients can only attend one county food pantry which would be closest to where they reside.

Meals On Wheels

Meals on Wheels provides one hot meal delivered daily, (Monday through Friday), or five frozen meals (delivered on Monday), to homebound people who are permanently or temporarily incapacitated and have no one available or willing to prepare their meals on an on going bases. Recipients must be between the ages of 18-59 and must be income eligible.

Homemaker/Non-medical Personal Care Services

Homemaker/Non-medical Personal Care Service provides a personal care provider to perform light housekeeping duties (i.e. make bed, dust, sweep, vacuum, laundry), run errands, and grocery shop. A personal care provider will also be provided for non-medical care needs such as a bath/shower, shaving, oral hygiene, etc….NO total lifts may be performed. An average client will receive about 4 hours of service a month. In order to receive these services, you must be between the ages of 18-59 and income eligible.

Transportation Services

Contact 570-784-8807 for a list of the transportation programs and guidelines that are available in Columbia County. These programs include: Medical Access Transportation Program, the Welfare to Work Transportation program and Income Eligible Transportation programs.

MATP Application 2014

WTW Application 2014

Homeless Assistance Program (HAP)

HAP’s purpose is to provide services to persons who are homeless or near homeless. HAP provides rental assistance and/or emergency shelter. Clients must demonstrate that with intervention services provided by HAP they would be able to meet their basic needs in the immediate and near future. Clients are required to be homeless or near homeless, have a sustainable income sufficient to pay rent/mortgage in the future or must have reasonable expectations for sufficient income within 90 days of agreement and be income eligible.

Veterans Affairs

Veteran Affairs offers Columbia County Veterans, their spouses, widows and children assistance. An applicant may be eligible for assistance in any of the following areas: nursing home financial fees (aid and attendance), health care, prescriptions, home loans, education loans, emergency funds, service connected disability, non-service connected disability, pension, funeral costs and grave markers. For more information about Veterans Affairs, contact the VA Director at (570) 387-6501.

Hours - Monday - Berwick -8:00am - 4:30pm
            Tuesday through Friday - Bloomsburg - 8:00am - 4:30pm

Dollar Energy Fund

Dollar Energy Fund provides assistance for UGI Central Penn Gas and PA American Water. Applicants must have a balance on their utility bill of at least $100. An applicant can be a senior citizen (age 60) and they may have a zero balance as long as there is no existing credit on the account. Applicants must also show a sincere effort of payment, meaning they have paid some amount on their bill within the last 90 days. (With PPL Gas it is $150.00 and with PA American Water it is $100.00) The maximum amount of assistance an applicant can receive is $400.00. Must provide recent utility bill and proof of income.

Project Outreach

UGI Penn Natural Gas supplies funds to Columbia County in order to provide energy assistance to those who are in need and are income eligible. These applicants in need must be within UGI Penn Natural Gas service territory and must have an outstanding balance on their energy bill. Applicants must provide proof of income and expenses of all members of the household. The maximum amount of assistance is $200.00 and applicants can only receive assistance once a year.

Operation Help

Operation Help is funded by PPL in order to assist in paying the energy bills of the elderly, disabled and others with hardships. A person must be income eligible for this program. These funds can be used to assist in the payment of any home energy bill, except UGI Penn Natural Gas. Documentation is needed (bills, termination notices, etc…) to show that the home is having an energy emergency. Documentation of incomes is also necessary. The maximum amount of assistance is $500.00 and applicants can only receive assistance once a year.

On Track

On Track is a payment program available for PPL customers with limited incomes who are unable to pay for their electric services. If an applicant qualifies for the On Track program, they will receive a special reduced monthly payment based on family size and income, protection from service shut-off and a chance to reduce any debt owed to PPL.

Related Links

Columbia County Needs Assessment

PA Department of Public Welfare's MATP Program