type: Burr Arch
length: 185 feet
Rupert Bridge is located between the Town of Bloomsburg and Montour Township. Spanning Fishing Creek, it is on Reading Street, off Fort McClure Boulevard, and left of Pennsylvania Route 42 (Rupert Drive), in the village of Rupert.
Costing $1,637.00, the Rupert bridge was built in 1847 by Jesse W. Beard. It was named after the nearby village, which was settled by Leonard Rupert in 1788. Rupert established a ferry across the river and his home became a popular stopping off place for travelers.
Rupert Bridge was creatively restored and upgraded in 2000-2001 to a Design by the Larson Design Group. The walls and roof are still self supported, with a new load-bearing modern bridge constructed underneath.
click drawing for larger image
Columbia County Covered Bridges Association on Facebook
Bloomsburg University Andruss Library has a Special Collection on Covered Bridges
Park County, Indiana has 32(!) covered bridges